The annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car auction took place in Scottsdale, AZ last Saturday, and while there were some celebrities in the crowd (Jay Leno was on hand to auction off a Chevrolet ZR-1, Patrick Dempsey sold his 2005 Mustang race car), the real celebrities were the cars. Some highlights (including the final bid price):
- The Monkeemobile, based on a Pontiact GTO, $360,000.
- The “Beverly Hillbillies” customized jalopy truck, $125,000.
- NASCAR star Tony Stewart’s Chevrolet Monte Carlo, $300,000.
- A 1972 Lincoln recreation of television’s Batmobile, $185,000.
- James Brown’s 1992 Mercedes-Benz 160E, $9,000.
- A 1966 Ford Thunderbirds from the movie “Thelma and Louise,” $65,000.
- A 1995 Harley-Davidson owned by William Shatner of “Star Trek” fame, $30,000.
- The “Miami Vice” movie boat plus matching Hummer, $175,000.
- Robosauraus, “The World’s Largest Robot”, that also eats cars, $575,000.
[from: Phoenix Business Journal, Barret-Jackson]